One killed, several injured in sword attack at Swedish school
Daftar Isi
Sword-wielding former student kills one, wounds three at Swedish school days after summer break
Activelifezero.com – Sweden’s painful streak of school-based mass violence stretched further on Friday afternoon, when an 18-year-old man carrying a sword stormed a high school in the small central town of Fagersta, killing one student and injuring three others before officers shot and detained him. The assault struck the Brinell school, a campus of roughly 450 pupils aged 16 to 20, just hours after the building reopened following the summer holiday. For a cohort of students, the morning had been their very first day back in the classroom.
The attack and police response
The suspect, described by local authorities as an 18-year-old male, was taken into custody on suspicion of murder after being hit by police gunfire. Local police chief Tommy Alriksson addressed reporters shortly after the scene was secured, explaining how quickly the response unfolded.
“The first patrol entered and let us know that the perpetrator was subdued with gunfire,” Alriksson said.
Unidentified sources told public broadcaster SVT that the assailant wore a helmet and wielded a sword, and that he had previously attended Brinell. The same accounts indicated he carried an earlier conviction for assault. The local health authority confirmed that two of the victims were teenage boys suffering severe injuries, while a third injured person was discharged from hospital after treatment.
In the immediate aftermath, several other schools and public buildings across Fagersta — a municipality of approximately 13,000 inhabitants — were placed under lockdown as officers worked to confirm the threat had been neutralized. The Brinell campus itself remained sealed for roughly five hours while investigators processed the scene.
Students describe the chaos
Those inside the building on Friday afternoon recalled a sudden shift from ordinary routine to terror. Nellie, a Brinell student who spoke alongside her mother, Agnes Strandberg, described the moment the situation turned violent.
“First it was just a regular day really. But then … I saw a guy all covered in blood, at least down his back anyway. Then I saw the police and they flooded in,” she said.
Another pupil, Abdulrahem Salmo, recounted seeing a victim with a bloody stab wound to the arm before the evacuation began.
“Then people called the police and we just all ran from there because we were afraid,” he told SVT.
Officials respond across the political spectrum
Fagersta Mayor Asa-Marta Sjostrom described the town as shaken and pledged institutional support for affected families and staff.
“Our and the school’s main focus right now is to take care of our students and our employees,” she told reporters. “We are working together … to create safety and provide support to those who need it.”
Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson cancelled a speech scheduled for Saturday and posted a brief message on the social platform X: “Our thoughts are with all those affected.”
King Carl XVI Gustaf, through a statement issued by the royal household, said he had received news of the attack “with dismay and sadness.”
Magdalena Andersson, leader of the Social Democrats whose center-left coalition currently leads opinion polls ahead of next month’s parliamentary election, offered a message of national solidarity.
“All of Sweden stands together with Fagersta at this difficult time,” she said.
Investigation turns to a social-media trail
Police are examining a TikTok account linked to Friday’s violence. The account, which had existed for roughly a month, posted a photograph of a sword approximately twenty minutes before the attack. Background details in the image appeared to place the photo inside a restroom at the Brinell school. Before the account was removed on Friday, it contained short videos referencing two prior episodes of mass violence in Sweden as well as the Norwegian far-right killer Anders Behring Breivik.
A pattern that haunts Swedish schools
The Fagersta incident lands in the shadow of two earlier tragedies that have left a deep mark on Swedish public memory. In February 2025, a gunman opened fire at a school in the south-central city of Örebro, killing ten people before turning the weapon on himself — the country’s deadliest mass shooting. A decade earlier, in 2015, a masked swordsman attacked a school in Trollhättan in western Sweden, killing a teaching assistant and two boys before police shot him dead; investigators later concluded the motive was racially driven.
Each episode has prompted renewed debate over campus security protocols, mental-health screening for students and former pupils with prior contact with schools, and the role of social media in signaling intent before violence erupts. For Fagersta’s residents, the questions now are whether the TikTok trail will yield further leads, how the two severely wounded boys will recover, and what changes, if any, will follow at Brinell and across the country’s secondary schools as the autumn term proceeds.
Related Reading
Frequently Asked Questions
What is One killed several injured in sword?
One killed several injured in sword is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.
Why does One killed several injured in sword matter?
One killed several injured in sword matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.