Secret Service says officers fatally shot a person who fired at them near White House
Secret Service Officers Fatally Shot Individual Near White House
Incident Details and Immediate Response
Secret Service says officers fatally shot – On Saturday, a critical security event unfolded near the White House, prompting a swift and decisive reaction from Secret Service agents. According to a spokesperson for the agency, an individual approached a checkpoint just outside the presidential complex and opened fire shortly before 6 p.m. ET. The gunfire triggered a rapid response, with Secret Service officers returning fire and ultimately neutralizing the threat. The suspect, identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, later succumbed to his injuries at a nearby hospital.
The confrontation escalated when the suspect, who had already begun firing, was struck by officers. A bystander was also hit during the exchange, though the exact moment of the injury remains under investigation. The spokesperson noted that it is unclear whether the bystander was struck by the initial shots or during the follow-up fire. Despite the chaos, no Secret Service personnel were harmed, and President Donald Trump, who was in the residence at the time, remained unscathed.
“During the shooting, a bystander was also struck by gunfire. It remains unclear whether the bystander was struck by the suspect’s initial gunfire or during the subsequent exchange of gunfire,” stated the Secret Service spokesperson, adding that the incident underscores the importance of maintaining the highest level of security for future presidents.
President Trump’s Reaction and Security Emphasis
President Trump, who had opted to stay in Washington D.C. over the weekend, took to his social media platform Truth Social to express gratitude for the Secret Service’s response. In a post early Sunday, he praised the agency’s ability to act swiftly, highlighting the critical need for robust protection. “The incident goes to show how important it is, for all future Presidents, to get, what will be, the most safe and secure space of its kind ever built in Washington, D.C. The National Security of our Country demands it!” he wrote.
The event occurred just weeks after the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, where shots had been fired, prompting a brief cover drill among reporters and administration officials. This latest incident, however, marks a more direct threat to the presidential compound. Trump’s presence in the residence during the attack ensured he was not directly targeted, though he was briefed by White House officials on the unfolding situation.
Background on the Suspect and Previous Encounters
According to three sources, the suspect, Nasire Best, had a history of interactions with the Secret Service. In June 2025, he had blocked an entry lane at the White House, leading to his temporary detention. At the time, Best claimed he was “God,” prompting authorities to take him to the Psychiatric Institute of Washington for a mental health evaluation.
Two months later, in July 2025, Best was arrested again after attempting to enter the White House complex driveway. A judge issued an order requiring him to remain at a distance from the presidential grounds. During the investigation into these incidents, law enforcement discovered that Best had posted several statements online, including one asserting he was “the real” Osama bin Laden. Additionally, he had shared at least one post indicating his intent to harm Trump.
Despite these claims, no prior instances of violent behavior or weapon use were recorded by police. “Best had never been observed acting aggressively or wielding a firearm before this event,” said a law enforcement source. His actions on Saturday, however, suggest a calculated attempt to breach the security perimeter.
Lockdown and Press Response
The gunfire near the White House complex led to a 40-minute lockdown for the press. CNN reporters, who were on site, captured the sounds of the exchange shortly after 6 p.m. ET, confirming the rapid response from the Secret Service. The incident occurred nearly an hour after the press lid was called at 5:06 p.m., a signal that typically indicates the president will not appear for the remainder of the day. By that point, many journalists and White House staff had already left the area.
Members of the press corps remaining on the North Lawn were quickly evacuated into the White House briefing room. There, they were instructed to shelter in place as Secret Service agents shouted “get down” and warned of “shots fired.” CNN estimated that approximately two dozen journalists, including photographers, producers, and correspondents, were inside the room during the lockdown. Agents with rifles patrolled the area, ensuring the safety of those within the complex.
The lockdown was lifted shortly after 6:45 p.m. ET, allowing the press to resume their activities. The incident followed several top administration figures, including White House chief of staff Susie Wiles, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, and Vice President JD Vance, being captured on camera as they exited the grounds. Trump’s decision to remain in Washington D.C. rather than travel to his New Jersey golf club underscored the heightened security measures in place.
Follow-Up from Law Enforcement and Media
Following the shooting, the Secret Service and local law enforcement agencies coordinated their efforts to secure the area. The FBI, under Director Kash Patel, confirmed its presence at the scene and provided support to the Secret Service. Patel’s statement on X highlighted the agency’s role in the response, emphasizing the multi-agency collaboration.
CNN’s Selina Wang, ABC News’ chief White House correspondent, shared a video on X capturing the moment the shots were fired. In her account, she described the event as occurring while she was recording a social video on the North Lawn. “I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots. It sounded like dozens of gunshots,” she recounted.
While the suspect’s motive remains under scrutiny, investigators are examining his social media activity for clues. The presence of multiple posts linking him to the idea of being Osama bin Laden’s successor and his desire to harm Trump adds context to the attack. However, no prior evidence of violence or weapon use was found, leaving the trigger for Saturday’s incident a mystery.
As the situation unfolded, CNN reached out to the White House, DC Metropolitan Police, and DC Fire and EMS Department for additional information. The agencies confirmed that the suspect’s actions were the primary cause of the confrontation, with no other individuals being targeted. The combination of immediate response, media coverage, and the suspect’s history has raised questions about the potential threats to the presidential residence and the effectiveness of current security protocols.
Context and Broader Implications
This incident comes amid ongoing discussions about security at the White House, which has been a focal point of public and political scrutiny. The rapid reaction by Secret Service officers and the resulting lockdown demonstrated the agency’s preparedness to handle threats. However, the presence of a bystander injured during the exchange has also sparked conversations about the balance between proactive defense and minimizing collateral damage.
The suspect’s background, including his mental health evaluation and recent arrest, highlights the complex interplay between psychological factors and security risks. While he had previously been deemed non-threatening, his actions on Saturday indicate a possible escalation in intent. The incident serves as a reminder of the challenges faced by security teams in identifying and neutralizing potential threats before they materialize.
As the investigation continues, the focus remains on understanding the circumstances that led to the shooting and ensuring similar incidents are prevented in the future. The Secret Service’s ability to respond quickly and decisively has been praised, though the event has also prompted calls for further scrutiny of security measures at the White House. With the suspect’s identity confirmed and his history detailed, the case is now a critical case study in presidential protection and public safety.
